Friday, May 29, 2015

10 Books of Winter

Cathy @ 746 Books has a challenge to read 20 books between 1 June and 4 September with an option to read 10. I doubt I'd manage to stick to a list of 20 so will try for the 10. I have had to desecrate her nice button because down here in the Southern Hemisphere summer seems a long way away.


The books I've chosen are the bits and pieces I've picked up at sales and fairs, put away in a cupboard where they languish out of sight and out of mind. This month I finally bought a secondhand bookshelf and brought them out into the light and this will be an opportunity to finally get some of them read.

My 10 Books of Winter

Guard Your Daughters by Diana Tutton
Angel by Elizabeth Taylor
The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald
News From the City of the Sun by Isabel Colegate - read June
The Winter Book by Tove Jansson
A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
The Traveller Returns by Patricia Wentworth
Bel Canto by Ann Pratchett
For Love Alone by Christina Stead
Bound Feet and Western Dress by Pang-Mei Natasha Chang - read June

6 comments:

  1. Nice to see a Wentworth on your list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been saving it! It's my last one. :-( until I can find more.

      Delete
  2. I also spotted this today and plan to join in.
    I spent this afternoon curled up on my bed in my slippers making my own winter badge!!
    I plan to post on Monday.

    Curiously I plan to put Tove Jannson's Summer Book on my list :-) Should they be read in any special order do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea - the only Tove Jansson's I've read are the Moomintrolls when I was young.

      Thanks for the winter button. :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm not brave enough to commit to a list but I love your selections - especially 'Angel' and 'A Handful of Dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can never resist making a list even though I know I'm likely to not complete it. I have chosen short, and hopefully quick reading.

      Delete