Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Classics Club Spin #7




Time for another game of chance from the The Classics Club - to make a list of twenty unread titles from our list and on the 11th Aug one number will be chosen. The challenge is to read the book that corresponds to the number by Oct 6.

My Spin List

Five I really want to read

1. No Name by Wilkie Collins
2. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
3. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
4. The Vet's Daughter by Barbara Comyns
5. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Five that have been on the shelf too long 

6. The Odd Women by George Gissing
7. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
8. Possession by A S Byatt
9. The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
10. Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray

Five  about the Boys

11. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
12. Adam Bede by George Eliot
13. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
14. Maurice by E M Forster
15. Dr Thorne by Anthony Trollope

Five by authors I haven't read before

16. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
17. Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev
18. Washington Square by Henry James
19. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
20. A House for Mr Biswas by V S Naipal


*****

4 comments:

  1. Doctor Thorne does have quite a few girls in it :) it's a lovely book. Is there a number that you are particularly hoping will come up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great ones on your list: Wives and Daughters, To the Lighthouse, Vanity Fair, The Picture of Dorian Gray …… all are excellent. I have Doctor Thorne on my list too! I haven't heard of The Vet's Daughter.

    Hope you get the book you want for your spin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Return of the Native and Vanity Fair are both on my list too. I hope the spin gives you a book you enjoy. I loved No Name, Jude the Obscure and Dr Thorne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will share Possession if #8 spins up on Monday. It will be a reread for me - it was an up/down kind of reading experience in my mid 20's. I'm curious to see how I feel nearly 20 yrs later!

    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete