Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Classics Challenge Prompt - September

This month's prompt for A Classics Challenge is select a piece of music that reflects the book you've been reading. It doesn't have to be from the period of the novel but share what is about the piece that echoes the novel in some way.


The Godwits Fly by Robin Hyde


The Godwits Fly is a New Zealand classic written in the 1930's. A semi-autographical novel it tells the story of a young girl, Eliza Hannay, growing up in New Zealand between 1910 - 1928. It was a time when the influence of Britain was still very strong and for the children of immigrants..... 
" ... you were brought up on bluebells and primroses and daffodils and robins in the snow."
I haven't been able to find a song with a distinctly NZ voice but  yearning for the 'mother country' is a universal theme and none capture the haunting sentiments of this longing better than the Irish.
I chose I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen which was written in 1875 by American Thomas Westendorf for his wife.


4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful song. You know, I haven't come across The Godwits Fly before. In fact, I don't think I have ever read a classic set in NZ. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it is known much out of NZ which is why I probably should be reading more of them for The Classics Club.

      Delete
  2. Love Irish music. :) Hadn't heard of The Godwits Fly either, it sounds like something I'd like reading though! Thanks for participating, Cat!

    ReplyDelete