Thursday, July 12, 2012

Six by Six: the first six months reading


A fun idea that originated at The Book Jotter - a summary of the books read during the first six months of 2012 by choosing six books for six different categories.

Categories chosen to suit my reading:

Six books I loved


Six Cool Classics

Six of the Best in Crime

Six that took me back in time

Six from the Non-Fiction shelf
  • Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill
  • Thomas Hardy: the Time-Torn man by CLaire Tomalin
  • The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal
  • Fortune's Daughters by Elizabeth Kehoe
  • Mrs Robinson's Disgrace by Kate Summerscale
  • Morgan: a biography of E.M.Forster by Nicola Beauman

Six that didn't live up to expectations
  • Tides of War by Stella Tillyard
  • The Little Shadows by Marina Endicott
  • Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist
  • The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates
  • The Last Summer by Judith Kinghorn
  • Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Look forward to reading everyone else's lists.



9 comments:

  1. I have had a crap year of reading, so no lists for me, you have did lots of reading though, well done. Love to see the crime books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think 2012 is going to be all that memorable for me either. I've read some good ones but too many that fell flat.

      Delete
  2. You talked me into it...Here's my Six in Six.

    I've got the Stephen King book on my TBR list for this year...It's still taunting me from the pile. Got to get my courage up to tackle that doorstop-sized book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to resist making a list! Hope you will enjoy Stephen King - it's big but its compulsive reading so doesn't take long to get through.

      Delete
  3. I'm enjoying reading everyone's lists! I've only read a few of the books you've mentioned but some of the others are on my TBR pile. I really need to read more non-fiction - I haven't even read six so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my goals this year was to read more non-fiction - so far, so good!

      Delete
  4. I love this idea and will be coming up with a post myself within the next several days. I loved Clara Callan, too, but it's been ages since I read it. Howards End is a favorite I hope to reread soon, and I'm in the middle of North and South right now. Sorry to hear The Falls didn't live up to your expectations - I enjoyed the audio version and felt like Oates did a good job capturing the time/place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought The Falls sounded good but I don't seem able to connect with JCO's writing style at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun meme and the first I've seen of it.

    ReplyDelete