Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Classics Challenge - June Prompt

Select a quote from the classic you're currently reading and create a visual tour.

The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
Chapter 1 - Outside Dorlcote Mill

 William Willoughby

" - borne along to the town of St Ogg's, which shows its aged, fluted red roofs and the broad gables of its wharves between the low wooded hill and the river brink, tinging the water with a soft purple hue under the transient glance of the February sun."

J.M.W Turner

"...and everywhere the hedgerows are studded with trees: the distant ships seem to be lifting their masts and stretching their red-brown sails close among the branches of the spreading ash."

J.M.W Turner

" How lovely the little river is with its dark, changing wavelets! It seems to me like a living companion while I wander along the bank and listen to its low placid voice, as to the voice of one who is deaf and loving. I remember those large dipping willows...I remember the stone bridge..."

John Constable

"And this is Dorlcote Mill..................perhaps the chill of the damp season adds a charm to the trimly-kept, comfortable dwelling-house, as old as the elms and chestnuts that shelter it from the northern blast............As I look at the full stream, the vivid grass, the delicate bright-green powder softening the outline of the great trunks and branches that gleam from under the purple boughs, I am in love with moistness, and envy the white ducks that are dipping their heads far into the water here among the withes - "

John Constable

"Look at their grand shaggy feet that seem to grasp the firm earth, at the patient strength of their necks bowed under the heavy collar, at the mighty muscles of their struggling haunches! I should like well to hear them neigh over their hardly-earned feed of corn, and see them, with their moist necks freed from the harness, dipping their eager nostrils into the muddy pond."


A Classics Challenge hosted by Katherine @ November's Autumn

A Victorian Celebration @ A Literary Odyssey




15 comments:

  1. Oh, you found such lovely images! I love the ducks in the mill pond.

    I read my first George Eliot novel last year (Adam Bede) and I have a copy of this one on my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Adam Bede yet. The Mill on the Floss I loved - hope you will too.

      Delete
  2. Classic artists for a classic read and very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Haywain came to mind when I first read the paragraph about the horses so I stayed with art of the time.

      Delete
  3. The quotes are beautiful and so are the painting you chose. I haven't read any George Eliot yet, but she's on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll read The Mill on the Floss - it is beautiful!

      Delete
  4. I most definately will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! I enjoyed it so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I enjoyed putting it together.

      Delete
  6. I always love books where nature landscape were described beautifully!
    I haven't read any George Elliot, but seems Mill on the Floss would be perfect to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, Fanda - I'm sure you'll love it too.

      Delete
  7. I really love this post. Just finished the book (in the last 15 mins!). Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete